Monday, September 28, 2009

Sharing the Simple Things

Today my brother Jonathan came from the USA to spend nearly two weeks with my family here in Brisbane, Qld, Australia. After a good solid continental breakfast, complete with homemade bran muffins, Greg went to work; and Jonathan and I set off on bikes with my three girls, ready for the start of his adventures in Oz. Jordan rode her bike, and Meryl and Micah Jade graced the trailer with all 60 lbs of their combined weight. Even though they don't do any peddling, they were so excited to show Uncle Jona how they "rode" to school. In my (correct) opinion, a better label for what they do is-- "cruise while mommy gets thinner".

It was so lovely to be able to show my brother the track that we take to school. I was so proud of Jordan, who rides all the way (4 miles) there and back without ever complaining. I was so thankful for my health and the opportunity to enjoy biking after a 15 year break. This place does not yet feel like home in many ways, and so I was astounded to feel such pride as I shared with my brother the beauty of the new landscape where I now reside. I guess if you admire a place for long enough, it becomes "yours".

The sun was already high in the sky, and the thick coolness, to which we have grown accustomed for our rides to school, had already vanished with the blue haze of early morn. The gum trees lined the Kedron brook and shaded our way on the path, fragrancing the air with a minty freshness. Most of the early morning animals had already retreated to their napping spots, but a bush turkey and some ducks and cows did see fit to grace us with their presence. We showed Uncle Jona the mulberry tree where we have partaken of nature's perfect (but very staining) snacks so often of late. The tree shared a few heart-shaped leaves for us to carry back to the last of our silk worms, who are busily spinning golden cacoons as they camp out on the side deck. Along the way back, we stopped to play for a while at the parks that usually tempt the children on the way to and from school. The girls particularly loved the park near school that had a "cubby house." I enjoyed watching them pretend at the job that I love so much.

So, here we are back at home, after an MJ nap, relaxing, and getting ready to share a homey meal together--my favorite time of day. I made one of my favorite dishes that I have had learned since moving to Oz--chicken and pumpkin curry.

It is so nice to have my brother here. Is it the comfort of being near to the person with the most intimate knowledge of what "home" was during my childhood? Is is because Jonathan is the same kind of different as me? Is it because having him see my experience makes it feel more real and less like a dream? I guess I will think on it, but for now, it is good to have a piece of home sharing my new home in a strange and beautiful new world.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's just nice to have another male in the house not named Greg. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanksgiving chef in Oz

Thanksgiving chef in Oz